Thursday, August 29, 2013

Low Water Update

I hadn't been back to the McIntyre Creek trails since my last post.  The low water levels were too depressing, and my dog who loved to retrieve sticks in the pond, couldn't even swim.  The ducks walking on the mud flats just added to my despair over the state the little pond was in.

However, I needed a longer hike today, so went back to middle McIntyre Creek, and was thrilled to see water levels back to normal, with the mud flats now covered  under water, and the ducks actually swimming instead of walking on mud.

Whatever the problem was, it has been rectified, at least for the time being.  As I earlier said, I had heard that Yukon Electric was holding back water, but I didn't think they would have held back that much to just about totally empty the pond.  But now with the fast flow of the Creek  and filled pond, I guess we can relax, at least for the moment. 

All I can say now, is I am happy to see the pond full of water again, and hope the extremely low levels don't reoccur.  All those mud flats were a depressing sight.  It is sad enough to know the beavers were killed,  which meant their dams are leaking water, but to have the pond so empty that the ducks were walking on mud flats where they formerly would swim, was pretty awful.



No comments:

Post a Comment