Thursday, August 1, 2013

Low Water & Sign & Hike

I was happy to see that the salmon sign that had been removed from the bridge area down from the College when the new signs were posted, has now been replaced, although in the spot that I believe was originally intended for the new sign.

I was just about in panic mode yesterday when I hiked the McIntyre Creek trails and saw what used to be the little pond created by beavers, had been reduced to the lowest level I had ever seen  and I have been hiking there since 1986!  I was sure that in spite of the rain we have been receiving, that if the beavers did not return to this area, we would see the McIntyre Creek return to only being a creek, and the pond would entirely disappear.



So today when I heard on the CBC news that the water was being withheld by Yukon Electric as they were building some cement barrier further up the Creek, I was relieved to learn that this may not be a permanent situation.  In spite of the claims of Yukon Electric that  leaving the water this low would not  affect the wildlife and environment, it definitely was.

The water is so low, the dogs, and likely coyotes and foxes,  can walk to the little island, and I heard a very panicked bird as one dog was investigating the island.  The bird must have a nest there, and whereas it was previously safe on the island, it was now available to predators.


The steadily lower levels of the Pond has reduced the nesting ducks to zero this year.  I saw ducks check the pond out in the spring, but none stayed to raise their young.  The ducks used the marshes to hide their nests, and with the pond water so low, there was no longer any safe nesting areas.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer, as in my mind August signals the beginning of Fall, and the down slide to winter.  I know some of you look forward to snow for your winter activities, but I still think we need to get out now and enjoy the sun and daylight while we still have it.

FOMC has been asked to conduct an hour or so hike on the McIntyre Creek trails August 10.  I have volunteered to begin the hike at 1:00 pm sharp, so if any of you would like to join, share any information you have on the plants and your wild life sightings in the area, or just want to go for a group hike,  please show up at the Takhini Elementary public school on Range Road.  We plan to leave promptly, so we can be back in time for a BBQ, so please be on time.

Happy Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment