Saturday, September 15, 2012

Sept 15, 2012 - Fence protected by rocks

On a recent hike I was happy to see that the City had placed some protective rocks in front of the newly reconstructed fence, restored by the Yukon College staff. The rocks aren't very large, and bigger boulders would have given me more confidence that it would be a deterrent to the vandals, but I guess time will tell.
I have  requested several times  that the City also place a boulder between the concrete cyclinders where vandals came through, and trashed the tree stakes, but unfortunately that has not yet happened.  I guess we need to wait 2 or 3 years between when work is requested, and when it is decided to follow through and do it.  I still say it is better to prevent vandals, rather than trying to clean up after the fact to repair the damage, but it seems that is not the City's point of view.

This area is wide enough for an ATV to pass through, as I have seen City By-law officers navigate through in previous years, as well as ATV'ers driving through to run their vehicles in the marshes along the Creek and small lake.
Today I saw some people in the Creek near the pump house, and learned that they were from the College and were testing water levels and flow.  The small lake has returned to a more respectable level, and the mud flats have been covered with water.  This really makes me sure that the problem was not a beaver dam breaking, but rather some water control above the pump house level.  I do hope with the College students monitoring the flow that this will give statistics as to really what is happening.

REMINDER:  The cleanup for McIntyre Creek will be Sunday, September 16 from 10 am - 2 pm, with a BBQ at 12 by the Bird watching gazebo off Fish Lake Road.  I am looking forward to some good food, including veggie burgers, and even dessert, so we hope to see you all out to help with the cleanup.  The weather is expected to be reasonable, so there is no excuse not to show up and show your support.  Everyone is welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment