Saturday, November 12, 2011

New Eagle on the Perch


On our hike today, I spotted an eagle on their favourite perch in McIntyre Creek. This perch is normally occupied by a Bald Eagle, so when I saw this one, I at first thought it was a young bald eagle, but from the colouring I saw when I got the photo on my computer, I am guessing it is a Golden Eagle. It is always enjoyable to see the changing seasons bring out different species. Unfortunately, I was only carrying my pocket camera, with 5x zoom, so wasn't able to get the detail I would have liked. The bird was quite interested in watching us, as much as we were interested in watching it.

Nov. 16/11 - Just got an email from someone who knows birds, and was told this is indeed a young bald eagle, not a golden eagle. "The immature Golden Eagle has no white on the body, only on the wings, at the base of the primaries, and at the base of the tail."


No comments:

Post a Comment